------ ------ -----

samedi, janvier 20, 2007

Step 2 : Thailande (from december 5th to 10th)


Thailande is very touristy country. It is composed by more than 62 millions of people for around 510 000km² (552 000km² and 60 millions of people for France). In Thailande you can find everything: big cities, amazing beach and great mountains scenery. Bangkok is the capitale and due to a fast expansion it is not a very nice city: too much polluted, not easy to go from place to another, from the point of view of architecture there is no harmonization...I mean i’m not a great fan of Bangkok.
We left Singapore December the 5th by plane to Bangkok. There I planned to leave luggages to a friend because I didn’t (and I couldn’t travel with all I gathered in 4 months in Singapore) but it didn’t match, so I left everything at the train station ( I was pretty worried about that I have to say!!).

We took a night train-see picture on the left-(the most confortable I have ever seen, but slow:14h for 700km) to go to Chiang Mai (the 2nd largest city). We stayed there 1 days and did a 3 days trekk around with walking, elephant riding, rafting driving and sleeping in spartiate dorm in small village, eating wild pork and rice cooked in a bambou. It was very nice, and it was my first experience of living in a place where there was no electricity so activity by night is not very thorough :-)


After Thailande we planned to go to Laos. Air ticket was quite expensive, so we chose to go there by boat. But first, we did a 1 day drive to Chiang Khong, the Thai/Laos border and slept there. Doing travel by day is quite interesting as you can admire scenery and it is exactly what we did. North of Thailande is very mountainous and it's beautiful.